Saturday, June 23, 2018

DEMOCRACY IN THE AGE OF NEW MEDIA: THREE CASE STUDIES - Chapter 1, First Draft

DOCUMENTARY

IN THE AGE OF
   
NEW MEDIA




         THREE CASE STUDIES



                                                            FIRST DRAFT











                                 Doctoral Dissertation by Theodore Folke
                                 Supervisor: Professor Lars Gustav Andersson
                                 Department of Film and Media Studies
                                 University of Lund
                                 Lund, Sweden

    
                                                                              tedfolke@gmail.com   
                                                                             Theodore_Folke@fit.nyc.edu
                                                                              Theodore.folke@litt.lu.se
                                    








                



            For my father, Ellis I. Folke, who always believed in me;
            for my dear wife Bua , who has always been there for me;
            and for grassroots documentarians around the world.





























All media work us over completely. They are so pervasive in their personal, political, economic, aesthetic, psychological, moral, ethical, and social consequences that they leave no part of us untouched, unaffected, unaltered. The medium is the massage. Any understanding of social and cultural change is impossible without a knowledge of the way media work as environments.”

 Marshall McLuhan and Quentin Fiore, “ The Medium is the Massage”[1]




“…just as the printing press in the fourteenth century and photography in the nineteenth century had a revolutionary impact on the development of modern media and culture, today we are in the middle of a new media revolution- the shift of all culture to computer-mediated forms of production, distribution, and communication..”

Lev Manovich, “ The Language of New Media”[2]














Table of Contents:


I.                            Introduction and Thesis Statement
II.                          Defining Documentary
III.                       Defining New Media
IV.                       Case Study #1: MONUSCO VIDEO( in progress)
V.                         Case Study #2: DEMOCRACY NOW ( in  progress)
VI.                       Case Study #3: THIS IS CONGO ( in progress)
VII.                    Digital Documentary Pre-Production
VIII.                  Digital Documentary Production
IX.                       Digital Documentary Post-Production( in progress)
X.                         Digital Documentary Distribution ( in progress)
XI.                       Conclusions:
XII.                    Ex Cursus: Interviews with Digital Documentarians
XIII.                  Appendix A: Bibliography
XIV.                 Appendix B: Relevant Links and Websites
                                             







 












I.              Introduction:

“In this age of computerized information and satellite systems, we must work for the growth of what might be called a “ communicatarian” democracy, giving everybody access to the technical resources of the mass media both at the national and the international level.”[3]

Sven Hamrell,  The Dag Hammarkjold Foundation

I.1   Introduction

On July 1, 2012, after almost 5 years as Chief of the Video Unit of MONUSCO,
the United Nations Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, I reached the compulsory UN retirement age of 62, and was forced to separate from the organization. I loved my work, but after 4 decades working in film and television production on 5 continents, I now finally would have the time to study the extraordinary evolution media technology in my lifetime – the evolution  popularly known as “ The Digital Revolution”.

Today, if there are any naysayers who doubt that we are in the midst of an information revolution in progress, I think the cataclysmic 2016 American Presidential elections should have removed any remaining doubts. The bottom line is that the vertical integration of international media production and distribution is no longer monolithic and omnipotent. Thanks to digital technology, both media consumers and producers have other options – options which they are now vigorously exploiting. Manufactured consent can no longer be taken for granted.

Until recently, the critical study of what we shall call New Media has been hampered by the lack of a language adequate to describe the new phenomena. Now, thanks to pioneers like Lev Manovich and Henry Jenkins,  such an adequate language is  available. The goal of this dissertation is to use that new language to explore through three case studies how the rapid development of New Media has changed the cinematic genre of documentary in terms of production, post-production and distribution.[4]

In the spirit of full disclosure, I shall begin with a chronology of my professional and personal journey from analog to digital media.


I.2.  1950-1980

Born in New York in 1950 to a Swedish father and an American mother, I spent most of my childhood in Sweden.  As soon I was old enough, my father tried to introduce me to cinema as an art form.  Thanks to him, I learned to distinguish between cinema art and Hollywood – though I confess my favorite films from those years were the Boulting Brothers comedies from England.

We moved to New York and, at age 13, I was sent to a prestigious American boarding school where I became an art major; in my senior year, I took an experimental film course with Sergei Eisenstein’s “Film Form & The Film Sense”[5] as a textbook, and we screened the standard cinema classics in 16  millimeter - Welles, Fellini, Bergman and Bunuel - while making our own modest silent 8 mm productions inspired by our favorite directors ( who, in my case, was Bunuel).  While I cannot pretend I had any idea what I was doing, I loved the entire production process, and was on my way to becoming a complete cinephile.

In 1968, I became a student of the humanities at the University of Lund in Sweden, and began to look for summer jobs in the film industry in New York.  Since Hollywood could never figure out a commercial formula for exploitation of documentary films, most documentaries in those days were produced in New York, and I was able to find work as an assistant to  some of the legends of the cinema verite movement   - Ricky Leacock, Shirley Clarke, Bill Jersey and Robert Elfstrom . Their creative integrity and dedication made a lasting impression.

In 1972, I got my Filosofie Kandidat in Drama, Theatre and Film from the University of Lund’s Department of Literary Science, which was kind enough to publish my thesis “ The Theatrical Theory of Antonin Artaud.[6] . I found Artaud’s search for a universal theatrical language fascinating, and attempted to create a cinematic version of that language while applying for the Directors’ Line, Film and Television, of Dramatiska Institutet later that year. I was 22 years old and  the competition for the three places for directors was intense , and I was young and inexperienced . After I was rejected. Janos Hersko ,  then the Directing Instructor, was kind enough to see me, and he suggested I reapply when I was older and had more work to show.

That was all I needed to hear.

It was time to make a film of my own. Through some friends, I found a unique school called The Orson Welles Film School[7] in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The brain child of Harvard Business School graduates, this school allow me to work in their restaurant to pay my  tuition and have free access to 16 mm equipment and an editing room. In two years, I completed my first 40 minute  film - a 16 mm. color science fiction thriller titled “Mato Grosso Bye-Bye”(1974).

 As is often the case with first films, “Mato Grosso Bye-Bye” was a mix of both personal triumphs as well as  harsh cinematic lessons learned.  Public reactions to screenings in Europe and New York told me that, while the production quality of the film was good, my scriptwriting skills needed a lot of work.  Fortunately for me, a few of my cultural heros like the author William S. Burroughs and the cartoonist Neal Adams liked the film, and the production quality was  good enough to land me a freelance assignment with United Nations Television in New York writing and directing the official UN Thirtieth Anniversary film “ To Be Thirty” [8] (1975) with my colleagues Steve Whitehouse and David Sherman serving as co-writer and editor, respectively.

 It seemed like  a great opportunity. Our assignment was to create a short film (c. 13 minutes) on how the United Nations had changed over 30 years, and the target audience was to be a North American youth audience.  In production terms, the film was to be a compilation film in the style created by the great Soviet filmmaker Esther Shub using the UN Film Library for stock material.  

While the UN Film Library turned out to a treasure trove of rare historic footage from around the world, I soon discovered why I had been given this assignment; thanks to Cold War politics, the film was a political minefield. Major events like the Korean and Vietnam Wars were completely taboo, which made it impossible to deliver a linear historical narrative with any credibility.

My solution was to abandon the standard boilerplate UN Griersonian Direct Address narration (  derided in-house as “The Voice of God”) and instead create an impressionistic, stream-of-conscious narration that dealt with emotional realities in no particular chronological order.  Thanks to creative support from our boss Marcel Martin, former head of the Canadian Film Board, as well as a spectacular sound track by the popular English group Pink Floyd , “ To Be Thirty” was a dramatic departure from conventional UNTV institutional fare.


 After our more senior colleagues expressed their extreme reservations, “To Be Thirty” surprised everyone by winning many prizes and becoming the most popular UN film ever, shown around the world for many years in over 15 different languages. In spite of this success, it soon became clear there were no openings at the UN Secretariat for anyone without serious political connections.

While UNTV appeared well positioned to produce high quality  documentaries about important issues ranging from climate change to refugee resettlement, the strong emphasis on avoiding controversy made it difficult to tell any stories with dramatic interest, and , in the dynamic era of Cinema Verite, the institutional UN films were notorious stylistic dinosaurs [9]. In fact, UNTV films had little distribution in the Western world, and almost none at all in the United States.

There was also a basic ethical issue that troubled me and some of my colleagues ; since we were promoting what was then called The New World Order, shouldn’t that New World Order include stories told by the people of those countries themselves? The idea of white Westerners like us making films about the serious issues of the developing world seemed more than a bit neo-colonial, and we had many discussions about how to change that. [10]

My dream was to get out into what UN veterans call “ the field” – where the real work was being done, far from the bureaucratic intrigues of the UN Secretariat - so I was thrilled when I was offered a post on the first UN Mission to Namibia in 1978.  I remember I had  been preparing for the trip  for a few weeks when South Africans invaded Angola and the mission had to be aborted .[11]

I decided it was time to return to Sweden to taken up Professor Ingvar Holm’s 1972 invitation to become a member of his Doctoral Program in Drama, Theatre and Film at the University of Lund . I proposed a dissertation on the Indian film industry to use it as a template for film industries in the developing world. 

After completing my 55 credits of course work in Lund, I received a grant from the Swedish International Development Agency to do doctoral research for my project. At that time, little was known in the Western world regarding the Indian film industry, except that it had competed successfully with Hollywood in some parts of the world, and was supposedly the world’s largest film industry.

Unfortunately, after six months in India in 1979, I discovered that both the Indian film industry – not to mention India itself- was far more complex than I could have imagined. In my travels around the Indian subcontinent, I learned that the Indian film industry was de-centralized, with films produced in many states in the local languages; there was apparently no dubbing at all. In addition, it was difficult to get reliable numerical data of any kind, and, not being Indian, I was hesitant to make any aesthetic assessment of the films I was seeing.

Eventually, I discovered what appeared to be a thriving film industry in the southern Indian state of Kerala, which produced over 100 feature film a years in the local language of Malayalam. I was impressed, and was even more impressed when I saw the quality of the best Malayalam films, which had more in common aesthetically with Italian neo-realism than the standard Bombay masala formula melodramas which permeated the cinemas in the rest of the country.

Then I learned from Keralan film producers that the local film industry was notorious for laundering money earned by the many Keralans working in the Persian Gulf states, and I was forced to reconsider my plan to make the Malayalam industry a model for the developing world. If the money laundering was as pervasive as I was being told, there is no way I could present Kerala as a sustainable model for media development in the developing world. Certainly not, at any rate to SIDA. In short, I had reached a philosophical dead end; I if there was a viable template for an alternative to the Western-dominated global media , it was not Kerala.[12]

One good thing happened in India that made the trip personally worthwhile; I got to know cinematographer Sven Nykvist, who was shooting a film for American director Paul Mazursky, who was a friend. Sven was looking for a screenwriter to adapt a story by Swedish author Sigfried Sodergren about colonial life in the French Congo called “The Man on the Island”. When Paul recommended me, I had a job.  I started work for Sven in Sweden, and returned my grant to SIDA.

Sven was wonderful  to work for. He was full of stories, and he taught me a great deal about the film industry and Congo, where Sven’s parents had been missionaries. When Sven told me he would be working with Ingmar Bergman
on Ingmar’s FANNY AND ALEXANDER in Filmhuset , I decided this would be a good time to reapply to Dramatiska Institutet and further my professional development with Janos Hersko

I.3:  1980-2000

This time I was accepted, and I graduated from the Directors’ Line of Dramatiska Institutet in Stockholm in 1983. It was the best educational experience I have ever had. Janos kept me and my two directing classmates[13] constantly busy with  production exercises of increasing complexity and intensity  with our respective teams, and was always a tough critic. In those days, film stock was a big out-of-pocket expense for DI, so we were forced to carefully plan every shot, which was excellent training.[14]

There was also a big emphasis on developing teamwork skills. We directors were also writers and editors, we had to learn to persuade our teammates to do what we wanted them to do, and that was also excellent training. In addition, the school helped us get paying jobs on our vacations, so I had the opportunity to edit 16 mm newscasts for Swedish Television, and 35 mm features for Europa Film. Perhaps the piece de resistance was the opportunity to work as interns on Ingmar Bergman’s Fanny and Alexander”.

We also had a television course in which we could shoot analog video with both studio cameras and ¾ inch portable cameras, and then edit both off-line and on-line. I quickly appreciated the limits of analog video at that time; the studio cameras were big and cumbersome, the portable cameras were very expensive, and the on-line editing required a lot of expensive hardware. The entire workflow of analog video was so expensive that it was only an option for the wealthiest countries. In addition, there was the problem of substantial loss of quality in duplication from the original in both picture and sound.

It was clear that analog video was still unsuitable for most documentaries, and, as a result, the professional medium for documentaries remained celluloid. This usually meant larger crews in the field[15] and substantial costs for air freight transportation and refrigeration for heat sensitive film stock both on location and for shipping to one of the few reliable film laboratories in the world for processing and prints. Given the normally high shooting ratio of documentaries – anywhere from 20:1 to 60:1 – this meant documentaries were an expensive proposition, and rarely a commercially lucrative venture. As a result, there were few documentaries made about issues of concern to the developing world, and some Third World countries responded by calling for a New World Information Order.[16]

My distrust for the new electronic technology was only heightened by a  disastrous introduction to digital sound in 1983.  I had planned a big screening of my examination film “ Supernova , starring the late Monica Zetterlund, and my sound engineer wanted to use DI’s brand new digital mixing board and make a digital sound track in 17.5 millimeter. Without having any idea what I was doing, I agreed.  The results were catastrophic – the film went way out of synch, and , try as we might for two days and nights,  we could not correct the problem. When we showed the film to the invited guests, the film was still out of synch. I had to interrupt the screening and show the double-system rough cut I had edited, and
pray that all my splices would hold and that the film would not start to burn in the projector. That was one of the worst experiences of my professional life, and I avoided all things digital for almost a decade.[17]

Fortunately, thanks in large part to my work for Sven Nykvist , I had a job as soon as I graduated from DI -  an offer to write a screenplay for a major Swedish producer – Christer Abrahamsen and Europa Film.. The project was a feature comedy with the popular Swedish comedy star Janne Carlsson and his friend Gosta Walivaara, who already had an idea for the film.  Janne had a reputation for being difficult to work with, but we got along, and I was even invited to join the team on a research trip to the co-producing country of Cuba. The result was the satirical comedy “ Svindlande Affarer”, which somehow survived a mid-production change of directors and the Svensk Filmindustri take over of  Europa Film to become the most popular Swedish film of 1985.

 Indeed, in spite of overwhelmingly negative reviews, the film eventually became the biggest box office hit of the year in Sweden, and the Minister of Culture even had kind words for the film at the yearly Guldbagge award. Unlike the critics, who attacked the conservative personal politics of the star, Janne Carlsson, the minister seemed to understand that the subtext of the film was a satire on supply side economics, Indeed. the Cuban co-producer I talked with at the premiere in Stockholm certainly understood my intentions with the screenplay. and he was kind enough to tell me I would be welcome in Cuba for any future project.[18]

Producer Christer Abrahamsen was also happy with my work; after the tragic assassination of Prime Minister Olof Palme, Christer asked me if I wanted to write a screenplay about the murder. I was interested, but when I learned that a director I knew and respected named Kjell Sundvall was planning his own film on the assassination, and that his theory regarding the guilty parties was similar to mine, I told Christer that I had to pass.

 I returned to New York and, for the next few years, I worked in New York as an film editor and writer for various producers while trying to sell feature screenplays, but with little success. In 1986, I had what I thought might be a  breakthrough with a feature comedy written with African friend Elisabeth Atnafu for Paramount Pictures titled “ Ambassador at Large”  about an African UN Ambassador in New York.  However, after expressing interest, Paramount suddenly changed their minds.

 When the film “ Coming to America” had its premiere, both Elisabeth and I saw substantial similarities to our submitted screenplay. So did Writers Guild, East President Mona Mangan, who told us that such disputes were not uncommon in America. However, we could not afford a lawyer, and it took us a few years to find one who would take the case on spec, or for a percentage of the eventual settlelent. In 1993,we sued Paramount for $100 million, and the case even got some publicity.[19]  Our lawyer Carl Person was apparently a specialist, and he thought we had a strong case because of  the obvious similarities and the fact that we had written proof that Paramount had had access to our screenplay.

 Ultimately, however, the case was adjudicated by an 80 year old judge who failed to see sufficient similarities as we did,  and the case was closed. I decided to avoid dealing with the major studios for a while, and began to focus on working with people through the Independent Feature Project, an organization which held a yearly market to help independent film makers find international buyers.[20]

 At the time, New York independents were experimenting with new production technology, and in 1994, I had my second encounter with digital sound; this time the experience was positive. I was supervising the re-shoot of low budget  feature for a friend, and I had to meet with the composer to record the sound track. The composer turned out to be producer of rap music named Floyd F. (“ Fucking”) Fisher.   I discovered Mr. Fisher had a portable Sony DAT digital recorder of the kind that the Recording Industry of America had unsuccessfully tried to ban in the United States, and I decided to test it for all our sound work – including music and voice-overs. The results were a revelation.  With his humble $500 .DAT recorder, Mr. Fisher was able to make sound recordings in a quiet room of a better quality than I had been making for $500. an hour for the UN at big New York sound studio like MagnoSound. I suddenly understood why the RIA wanted to stop these recorders; we proceeded to do the final sound mix in a low budget digital production house, and all went well. [21]

We were less fortunate with the images. We had shot on a new Sony analog video format called Hi-8, with mixed results. The camera was small and easy to work with, but, while the first generation images looked excellent, as soon as we made a copy, the picture deteriorated significantly. Clearly Hi-8 was not the answer. I went back to the drawing board and continued to develop projects and try to keep up with the latest technological developments until the end of the Millennium.

To help pay the rent, I got a job in 1997 as an adjunct professor of English and Speech at New York’s Fashion Institute of Technology, a division of the State University of New York and one of the world’s largest design schools, with a highly diverse student body from around the world. I enjoyed teaching at FIT; I was able to teach courses in English Composition, Short Fiction, Film History and Screenwriting, and both my students and colleagues were supportive and creative.

I.4 .2000-2012:

 In 1999, I was unexpectedly offered a position as a video producer with UNTAET, the new UN Administration in the tiny Southeast Asian island nation of East Timor. Since I had been unofficially on a DPI black list for more than a decade, I wondered why on earth I was even being considered for  this job.

In 1988, I had been asked to write a screenplay for a long form documentary ( 27 minutes) for the official UN film for International Year of Shelter for The Homeless. The director was my good friend Simone diBagno from Italy, and he had shot in Rio de Janiero, Sri Lanka and New York.  As was the case with all UN films, we had been instructed to show solutions rather than problems. we had done our best to find a typical UN compromise that would satisfy all parties. However, the American government of Ronald Reagan refused to compromise, insisting that we not show any homeless from America.

Both director Simone and I balked at this blatant political interference, which was a violation of the UN Charter.. We decided to leak the dispute to the press, and the result became a minor scandal when the American ambassador confirmed to a New York Times reporter that he had  given the UN  instructions “ not to show homeless from New York unless we emphasized freedom of choice…”

Thanks to this scandal, the film “ Shelter For the Homeless”, with a patronizing Voice of God narration, got a lot more attention in American media than it deserved, and actually won prizes at the Karlovy Vary Festival , as well as an award from something called the  Pyongyang Film Festival. [22] My personal prize had been become persona non grata at UNTV .

 I could only assume I was being offered the job in East Timor because no one else wanted to do it.  After all, East Timor was a remote, mosquito infested island with a violent history, as well as tropical diseases like encephalitis, malaria and dengue.

 In short, East Timor sounded perfect for me.

After meeting the charismatic Nobel Peace Prize winning East Timorese leader Jose Ramos Horta in New York , I  began to see the story of East Timor’s successful 25 year struggle  as one of the political miracles of the late 20th century. I also knew from colleagues that the UNTAET Video Unit was completely digital, so I became eager to start the new millennium with UNTAET ,

When I arrived in the UNTAET Video Unit office in the East Timorese capital of  Dili in January, 2000,  I could see that our rented computer hardware had already seen much better days. Furthermore, I discovered that our editing software was a user unfriendly clone of Adobe Premiere called Speed Razor, which I would not wish on my worst enemy. And while we had sturdy Sony TRV 900 cameras, the island had no electricity, so any local broadcasts were out of the question.

The UNTAET Video Unit consisted of myself, a talented Danish colleague who was an experienced videographer, two capable East Timorese cameramen, who had been working with Indonesian television, and an Australian who was on vacation. The UNTAET mandate emphasized capacity building, so there was one East Timorese for every international . We started to prepare for the official opening of UNTAET, and the arrivals of UN Secretary General Kofi Annan and newly elected  Indonesian President Abdur Rahman to help celebrate the opening.

At the time of my arrival, an Australian led intervention force called INTERFET was winding down operations to pacify the East Timorese half island and hunt down the remnants of Indonesian backed militias who were still terrorizing the Timorese. East Timor itself was in ruins, thanks to the Indonesian army’s scorched earth policy; an estimated 80 % of all structures had been burned when the TNI left after the UN –run popular referendum had decisively voted 78.5 % for East Timorese self-determination in late 1999.

The UN mission running the referendum, UNAMET, had been effectively chased off the island, and the many mutilated bodies we saw in the Dili morgue were clear evidence of massacres. Confronted with this massive devastation left behind due to the scorched earth policy, I decided to document as much as possible both for the legal record as well to be able to tell the story  to future generations of East Timorese and  international audiences.
My Timorese colleagues showed me reported massacre sites around Dili and helped me set up interviews with eyewitnesses.[23]As the story began to take shape, our Australian colleague returned from this vacation. As soon as I met him, I knew I had a problem. While I outranked him in the UN hierarchy, he seemed to think he was the boss. He was also threatening and physically aggressive, and was more than ready to sabotage my work in any way he could.

A month later, some furious East Timorese colleagues told me this Australian colleagues had physically assaulted one of our female Timorese presenters; to calm things down,  I organized a staff meeting, fully expecting  that this assault would be punished – only to be shocked when I failed to get any support from the administration, and the Australian got off without even a slap on the wrist. Clearly, he had friends in high places.

It was a difficult situation. UNTAET was in start-up mode, and there were internal power conflicts in many departments. Did I want to commit to a long internal struggle with a possible physical confrontation?  I was not sure.  While I have a black belt in Aikido, my job description was to be a video producer, and my training is to find peaceful conflict resolution when possible. I could see, however, that this conflict might be long and unpleasant, with an uncertain outcome.

Thanks to digital media, however, there was another option. I had discovered digital dupes were as good as originals, and I knew from my friends at UNTV in New York I would have their support if I made an independent feature documentary about UNTAET. Over the course of a few weeks, I quietly duped all the min-dv tapes in the office. When it was time to renew my contract, I  left the mission with some 70 hours of mini-dv tapes in my backpack.

Back in New York, with the help of user friendly Apple service centers like Tek-Serve, I was able to buy a Final Cut Pro 3 editing suite for about $10,000. , and some of my students at New York’s Fashion Institute of Technology were even kind enough to serve as interns on the production.  One – Jade Ann Benetatos –  had used Final Cut Pro before, and she patiently taught me how to use it. All of my film instincts were wrong, but Jade Ann, as a true digital native, showed me how I had to fundamentally change my approach to digital media.

Since we were making a compilation documentary, we were constantly searching for archival material to compliment the original material I brought back from East Timor. United Nations Television had given me the rights to that material free of charge, but otherwise I had to digitize whatever material I could find, and hope to find money to pay for the rights when the project was completed. Thanks to John Miller, of the East Timor Action Network, I was able to obtain a lot of excellent material which filled in the gaps in the historical narrative I wanted to tell.

In August, 2002, I was invited to screen a rough cut of the documentary to help celebrate Timor Leste’s Independence Day at the United Nations in New York.
The working title was “East Timor: Betrayal and Resurrection”, and the audience included many veterans of the 1999 siege of the UNAMET mission compound in Dili. Their response was both positive and gratifying .

 I was also personally thrilled by the quality of the projected sound and image in the theatre; it was hard to believe that these images had come from the innocuous Mini-DV tapes I had brought back from East Timor in my backpack.

In December, 2003, the final cut of  East Timor: Betrayal and Resurrection “ won the UN Correspondents’ Association’s Ricardo Ortega Award for Excellence in Electronic Journalism; I shared the dais with fellow UNCA Award recipients Hans Blix, Lakhdar Brahimi, and Nicole Kidman, and former UNSG Kofi Annan presented the award. That was a proud moment; my competition for the award had included producers from the BBC, CNN and the other major global networks. [24]

In 2005, I was invited to return to Timor Leste by Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao  and President Jose Ramos Horta to  do a documentary sequel ; my wife and I sold our house outside of New York, and I bought a Sony Z-1 camera and a customized Apple Powerbook for editing on location in Timor Leste.

In 2006, we set up a production office with an editing suite in Thailand , only to learn that President Ramos Horta had been shot and seriously wounded in post-electoral violence. We  had to put our plans to work in Timor Leste on hold, and  I decided this might be time to resume work on my dissertation. I  visited Professor Erik Hedling in Lund to see if that would be possible. Professor Hedling gave me the green light, and I  got a job as a Lecturer in Multimedia at an English language school called Asian University in Thailand.


One year later, I unexpectedly received an offer from the United Nations Mission to the Democratic Republic in the Congo (MONUC) to become Chief , Video Unit. For me, this job offer was both a great honor and a vindication, and  I accepted without hesitation. I already knew a bit about Congo from my work with Sven Nykvist, and MONUC was the biggest and most important UN Peacekeeping mission in the world – a giant step up from UNTAET.

After going through induction and training at the UN Base in Brindisi, Italy, I  anarrived in Kinshasa on December 7, 2007,  and found an  talented international Video Unit staff of 10, equipped with the latest Sony HD cameras and a number of state-of-art editing suites.  In short, the job was a dream come true,

 Over the next 5 years, we produced some memorable long form documentaries for the international audience, as well as over 200 weekly video magazines shown across the Democratic Republic of the Congo. [25] I managed to survive 6 different senior managers, ultimately becoming OIC/PID myself before I left. I am proud to say that the Video Unit itself was relatively free of intrigues and conflict, and we managed to keep our creative core intact until UN rules forced me to retire at age 62 in  July, 2012.

I.5 2012-Present:

Before I retired from MONUSCO, my wife and I discussed our future plans. She wanted to return to New York, so we put our house in Thailand on the market and set about planning our move. I found out from my old colleagues at SUNY/FIT that I would be able to return as an Adjunct Assistant Professor of English and Communications, as well as create film courses for the brand new Department of Film, Media Studies and Performing Arts. In short, I would be welcomed back to my old home at SUNY/FIT.

While I was officially now an educator again, I also had two major projects in mind. I knew both projects would have the blessing of my superiors at FIT; even though FIT is a design school, they had been very supportive of my East Timor
film, and had even helped me arrange a gala screening at FIT in 2006 for East Timor’s newly elected President Xanana Gusmao and his then Foreign Minister, my old friend  Jose Ramos Horta. [26]


 I.6 Congo Calling:

First of all, as a television producer, I wanted to make an independent feature documentary to tell the story of MONUSCO and Congo to the world - just as I tried to do for UNTAET and East Timor. I knew I had a number of advantages I had lacked with UNTAET.

Among other things I had 5 years of pre-edited , high quality, original material, most of which had already been distributed and well received both inside and outside Congo. I also had the official blessing of the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations and the UN Department of Public Information, both of which had liked my work in Congo.

To seek financing outside the UN, which has no funds for such productions. I resurrected my old American production company, The Samba Project,LLC, added  two colleagues from MONUSCO – editor Meriton Ahmeti from Kosovo and cinematographer Albert Liesegang from Germany – and produced a demo reel to show to prospective backers.[27] For backers with short attention spans, we created a 5 minute demo with the working title of “ Congo Calling”.[28]

Finally, to present the best material in sequence I assembled a Video Portfolio. [29]

As I write now, Congo is in a state of political turmoil, and has been declared a humanitarian disaster by international relief agencies. Unfortunately, unless there is an Ebola outbreak, there seems to be little interest in Congo in mainstream Western media. As was the case with East Timor, Congo does not seem to be considered worthy of mainstream news coverage.

All the more reason, then, for independent documentaries like “ Congo Calling” to tell this important story. As I write, the Congolese director of “Congo Calling”, Horeb Bulambo Shindano, is about to attend the June 29 premiere in New York of a feature documentary he helped to produce – “ This is Congo”.[30]

I.7 Documentary in the Age of New Media:

My second project has been that of an educator- writing this dissertation. I have been collecting material for almost a decade  now and my views on the Digital Revolution have changed along with my professional status. When I was working in East Timor and Congo with a focus on production, I was an unabashed Digital Utopian. The rapid evolution of Digital production methods had made my work easier, and sometimes even made what had seemed impossible possible. Now, however, as an educator at FIT in New York since 2014, I find I have become more reserved in my enthusiasm, and might be described as a Digital Agnostic. There are several reasons for this change.

The first is that my students in my EN 321 Strategies for Business Communications classes seem  concerned with the way social media is taking over lives an early age in the United States. Unlike a country like Congo, where internet and wi-fi connections are limited, social media has become pervasive –if not dominant – among young people in New York. There is little question that social media today plays an important role as a communications tool.

[31] My student’s concerns are echoed by some social scientists and media critics who believe that the impact of New Media  transcends even cognitive functions; these social scientists today are asserting that the first generation which has grown up with access to digital technology seems to be significantly different than preceding generations, and that their brains actually function differently than those of preceding generations.As American educator Mark Prensky puts it, “Our students have changed radically. Today’s students are no longer the people our educational system was designed to teach.”[32]

In other words, there is a major generation gap in the works that educators and other professionals are now striving to define. Prensky calls those who have grown up with digital technology Digital Natives, and those of us born earlier Digital Immigrants Dr. Gary Small, who has been conducting research into the neurological effects of internet , goes even farther,  asserting that a phsyiological  brain gap has been created by use of digital technology, and that this gap is increasing day by day.[33]


The results of this transformation are still under study; however, pundits seem to agree that Digital Natives have short attention spans, read fewer books and newspapers, and have a tendency to ignore historical precedents. These tendencies they attribute to what some have called information overload, or information glut; there is simply too much information to process  and reflection therefore becomes impossible.[34] Digital Natives are therefore frequently in a state of continuous partial attention, or what Dr. Gary Small terms a digital fog.[35]

In terms of cinema and cinema studies, there is also a major disconnect in progress among Digital Natives with the tradition of analog cinema, in general; just as it is difficult for today’s educators to get students to read books, it is difficult to get today’s students to watch old films – particularly black and white, not to mention silent films. However, speaking as a Digital Immigrant, it has been my happy experience as an educator that, once the initial threshold of resistance is passed, contemporary students can appreciate cinematic quality of all kinds, no matter how old it is. [36]  For example, my FIT students respond enthusiastically to cinema classics like Dziga Vertov’s “ The Man With a Movie Camera” [37].

However, as an educator, I confess I find the lack of cinematic literacy among the current generation of American Millennials to be distressing. Even well educated students who are film majors with an active interest in the arts have seen few of the films generally regarded as classics – be they films by Fellini, Kurosawa, Wilder or others. It seems that the entire culture of art cinemas in New York has vanished, and is not being replaced. Seeing “ La Dolce Vita” or “ Seven Samurai” on an i-phone cannot be compared to seeing these films as they were intended to be seen – on a big screen in a theatre with other cineastes. Personally, I have found it gratifying to be able to introduce students to these classics in the state-of-the-art digital theatre at FIT, and I am happy to report the students’ reactions have been as enthusiastic as their response to Vertov’s works.  Indeed, it has been my experience that audiences everywhere in the world still respond to quality, and, contrary to the view of some communicators, it is not necessary to “dumb down” communications products for anyone – be they Digital Natives or citizens of the developing world.


Nonetheless, the future for motion picture theatres in the United States looks bleak.[38] A corollary to this decline in cinematic literary in the United States is the sudden lack of interest in traditional motion picture production methods. While digital technology has made everything easier, it has also facilitated short cuts in the creative process and, in some cases, led to a complete rejection of professional analog production methods. [39]

While I have always been an advocate of free expression, I believe craftsmanship and teamwork are essential parts of high quality cinematic expression – and that includes the craft of scriptwriting and production planning. As an educator, I believe we do a disservice to our students when we overlook these skills.

That much said, documentarians, with few vested interests to protect, and being generally radical by nature, have enthusiastically embraced digital technology, and – unlike many of their corporate and political sponsors - are now in the vanguard of exploring the possibilities of this new age of human development. Indeed, the documentary genre is in the midst of something of a renaissance. This dissertation is an attempt to profit from their combined experience and their examples.

Digital Documentary, being significantly less expensive and easier to produce than its analog predecessor, is making documentary far more democratic and international than it ever was during the analog era; we must acknowledge that analog cinema was never a particularly democratic form of communication.  As American cinema historian James Monaco writes:” Film has changed the way we perceive the world, and therefore how we operate in it. Yet, while the existence of film may be revolutionary, the practice of it most often has not been. Because the channels of distribution have been limited, because costs have prohibited access to film production to all but the wealthiest, the medium has been subject to strict control.[40]

It is my hope that the proliferation of Digital Documentary means that people around the world can, for the first time, visually document and share stories about their realities with their peers virtually everywhere. This is potentially a radical change.  
In this respect, the state of digital documentary is but a microcosm of the larger world of multimedia; to echo the words of many a pundit, we find ourselves at a watershed moment in human development, a moment at which we suddenly have access to tools and capacities we could only have dreamt of a few years ago.  

Our ability to harness these tools in a positive way will be greatly dependent upon our grasp of the many implications of their use. If this dissertation can follow in that illustrious tradition, it will have achieved its goals. However, I am well aware that my humble effort here is also a bit like trying to catch lightning in a bottle; as the American cultural critic Neil Postman warned us in 1992,“A new technology does not add or subtract something. It changes everything.”[41]

I.8 Note on Terminology used:

Let us attempt to put the Digital Revolution in a historical context; prior to the Millennium, analog technology was the standard for communications industries around the world; today, almost two decades later, digital technology has become the universal standard for these industries. While a digital copy might appear identical to an analog original, it is inherently different; in simple terms, analog media is linear, and sequential, while digital media is non-linear.

These distinctions are fundamental to understanding digital technology, which was first mentioned in a paper written in 1936 by a brilliant British mathematician named Alan Turing, perhaps best known for cracking the German Enigma Code in World War II. Working with a theoretical computer model, Turing proved that a digital computer could be “ programmed to perform the function of any other information-processing device."[42]

The subject of this dissertation is the relationship between a 20th century cinematic form in a 21st century technological environments. Traditional distinctions between analog media forms such as print, film, and even television are invalid when transferred to multimedia[43]. For example, in film studies, documentary has generally been categorized as a genre of the film medium. What, then, is the relationship between documentary film and digital documentary?

The answer is that they may be aesthetic cousins employing the same general aesthetic conventions and genre rules, but are fundamentally different media forms.

For example, a digital documentary copy of a documentary  such as Robert Flaherty’s classic “Nanook of the North,” might appear to be identical, but, in reality,  a digital documentary is as radically different from a documentary film as an internet blog is from a traditional newspaper. As shall be seen, the entire process of documentary production from financing, research through to distribution has been dramatically changed. In the process, new creative paradigms are rapidly evolving, as are new business models.

What with the speed of this change, the author has noticed some some confusion in terminology in both professional and academic circles. For example, terms like “ Digital Film”, and “ digital documentary filmare popular, but are fundamentally incorrect; a digitized copy of a film might seem identical to the original, but it can never be an analog film. To eliminate confusion between the terms analog and digital documentary, in this dissertation we shall therefore refer to both analog and documentary simply as documentary . [44]

Otherwise, for general purposes, this dissertation shall employ the terminology used by American film critic and cinema scholar J. Hoberman, who makes the following distinctions : Cinema means a form of recorded and hence repeatable moving image and, for the most part, synchronized recorded sound. Television kinescopes and TV since videotape are cinematic; so is YouTube. The terms motion pictures or movies imply a projected image; film refers to movies that are produced on or projected as celluloid (or its derivatives) and hence have some basis in photography.”[45]

Fortunately, there are some academicians who have been trying to create a method and a terminology to help us understand how this new technology works. Professor Henry Jenkins of the University of Southern California is one, and his theory of Convergence Culture is a fascinating attempt to describe the phenomenon of what is now called New Media .[46]  However, Associate Professor Lev Manovich of the Visual Arts Department of the University of California, San Diego, is my personal favorite. His book “The Language of New Media” has been invaluable in helping me understand how to place the genre of documentary in the context of what he calls New Media.[47]

While Jenkins focuses on the forms of Distribution of New Media, Manovich places an equal emphasis on Production and Post-Production, which seems more useful for my study of Documentary in The Age of New Media.  I must confess I also firmly agree with Manovich’s use of Dziga Vertov’s work as a template for what he calls Database Cinema[48], so I have employed his terminology where applicable


I.9.Thesis Statement:

The goal of this dissertation is to explore the impact of New Media on Documentary through three Case Studies. The case studies have been chosen
to emphasize a diversity in approaches to producing and distributing documentary through new media.

1.    The MONUC Video Unit.[49]
2.    Democracy Now[50]
3.    THIS IS CONGO (Dogwoof Productions)[51]













[1] Marshall McLuhan and Quentin Fiore (The Medium is the Massage) Bantam Books, 1967. p.26
[2] Lev Manovich ( The Language of New Media) Masschutsetts Institute of Technology Press,2001. P.19
[3] Andreas Fuglesang, (Filmmaking in Developing Countries I: The Uppsala Worskhop) The Dag Hammarskjold Foundation, 1975, p.9
[4] Lev Manovich/Andreas Kratky ( Soft Cinema- Navigating the Database) The MIT Press, 2005, p. 5
[5] Sergei Eisenstein, (Film Form and The Film Sense) Meridian, New York. 1959.
[6] https://www.amazon.com/theatrical-theory-Antonin-Artaud-categorization/dp/B0007C8DTQ
[7] I later discovered Orson Welles had never heard of the school – they had used his name without even asking. Mr. Welles  was kind and said nothing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Welles_Cinema
[8]Here is a link to “ To Be Thirty : https://vimeo.com/69173621
[9] As  Steve Whitehouse, my friend and collaborator on “ To Be Thirty” quipped,”They want us to make the worst films in the world – because then nobody will want to watch them , and there won’t be any problems…”
[10] More on this in Chapter 3
[11] https://peacemaker.un.org/namibia-resolution435
[12] When I first arrived in New Delhi in 1979, I met with Bo Karre, who was then the local SIDA representative. He listened to my plans, and then advised me to write whatever I was going to write immediately, because, after six months I would be too confused to write anything. When he said this, I was a bit  insulted, but he was subsequently proven right.
[13] Jonas Frick and Fredrick Becklen
[14] My short films at Dramatiska Institutet 1981-83: https://vimeo.com/69233308
[15] Popularly called  schleppers”  in New York.
[16] For more on The New World Information Order, please see Chapter 3
[17] Link to ‘ Supernova”: https://vimeo.com/151430783
[18] Svindlande Affarer, Part 1 https://youtu.be/Ed6CNCk8cyY
[19] https://variety.com/1993/biz/news/america-tries-on-another-suit-115453/
[20] For more, please see:  http://www.ifp.org
[21] http://www.obsoletemedia.org/digital-audio-tape/
[22] Here is a link to “Shelter for the Homeless “Part 1: https://vimeo.com/272049550
[23] This material was to prove invaluable when I testified as an expert witness in 2001  on behalf of six East Timorese plaintiffs in a Human Rights case –brought against Indonesia General Johnny  Lumintang in US Federal Court. General Lumintang never showed up, and the East Timorese were initially awarded $66 million. They would never see the money, but for the proud East Timorese, the legal victory was an important vindication. https://ccrjustice.org/home/what-we-do/our-cases/doe-v-lumintang
[25] All our MONUC programs can be found on our YouTube channel : www.YouTube.com/MONUCVIDEO,
[26] Please see attachment from FIT’s in-house newspaper here:
[27]  Please find  links here to The Samba Project, LLC Demo reel:
No password needed
[28] Please find link to “Congo Calling” short demo here:
https://vimeo.com/263738160
[29] Please find link to “Congo Calling “ Video Portfolio here: https://vimeopro.com/usertedfolke/congo-calling
[30] Please find line to trailer for “This is Congo” here: https://youtu.be/4WfWODjDYAk

[31] For more, please see http://socialcapital.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/twitter-facebook-and-youtubes-role-in-tunisia-uprising
[32] Mark Prensky ( Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants) in  The Digital Divide, ( ibid), P.3
[33] Gary Small and Gigi Vorgan ( Your Brain is Evolving Right Now) in The Digital Divide, (ibid) p. 79
[34] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_overload
[35] Small and Vorgan (ibid.) p.
[36] In the United States, motion picture exhibitors have noticed an alarming decline in cinema attendance among Millennials. They prefer to look at films through streaming sites such as Netflix, and the future of cinema as we know it is in doubt. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-moviegoing-future-multiplex-golden-age-20170602-htmlstory.html
[37] For “ The Man With a Movie Camera:”, please click on this link: https://youtu.be/cGYZ5847FiI
[38] https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/06/hollywood-has-a-huge-millennial-problem/486209/
[39]  A classic example is the book by Michael Rosenblum ( i-Phone Millionaire- How to Shoot and Sell Cutting Edge Video ) Basic Books, 2013

[40] James Monaco( How to Read a Film-Movies, Media and Beyond) Oxford University Press, Fourth Edition, 2009. Pp.578-637

[41] Neil Postman ( Technopoly- The Surrender of Culture to Technology) Vintage Books, 1993, p.18
[42] Nicholas Carr ( is google making us stupid?) in The Digital Divide, Edited by Mark Bauerlein. Jeremy P.Tarcher/Penguin, 2011. P.69

[44] It is important to bear in mind prior to 2000, there were also analog video documentaries, mostly shot on Betacam videotape,  along with other short-lived formats.
[45] J.Hoberman ( Film After Film – Or, What Became of 21st Century Cinema?) Verso, 2012, p.3
[46] Henry Jenkins(  Convergence Culture – Where Old and New Media Collide), New York and London, New York University Press,2006
[47] Lev Manovich, (The Language of New Media) The MIT Press, Cambridge, Masschusett and London, England 2002
[48] Manovich, ibid
[49] www.YouTube.com/MONUCVIDEO
[50] https://www.democracynow.org
[51] https://www.thisiscongo.com

No comments: